Internationally awarded in the European Parliament
Contemporary Photography Collection
The Photography Collection won the international award at the "Corporate Art Awards - Mecenati of the XXI Century" on 28 November 2018 at the European Parliament in Brussels. The distinction "For the Outstanding Photography Collection of 21st century living artists" aims to promote collaboration between the world of business and art and is an important recognition of the unique example of cultural patronage, which has created one of the most important corporate collections of contemporary art from the world made up of living artists from the 21st century.
MAAT . Fiction and Fabrication: Photography of Architecture After the Digital Turn curated by Pedro Gadanho and Sérgio Fazenda Rodrigues . until August, 19 . partnership between the Museum of Art, Achitecture and Technology and the NOVO BANCO Contemporary Photography Collection. [more information]
MONEY MUSEUM, Banco de Portugal . (Euro)politics: contemporary photography after 1999
How it all began
A Collection with history
The Contemporary Photography Collection began in 2004 with the acquisition of "A Woman with a Covered Tray, 2003," a light box by Jeff Wall, "Untitled, 2004," a self-portrait of Cindy Sherman, "Shanghai Panorama, 2002", a view of Shanghai by Thomas Struth and "Rijksmuseum Amsterdam II, 2003", a library by Candida Höfer.
The Collection in numbers
Today the collection comprises about 1000 works of all the world, of more than 300 artists from 38 different countries, representing a wide range of generations and backgrounds.
About the Works
From Wolfgang Tilmans to John Baldessari
The works chosen for the Collection cover photography in all of its forms, integrating installations such as "Installation, 1999" by Wolfgang Tillmans, Christian Boltanski's "Lumières (blue pyramid - Claudine), 2000", which complements the photography with a light installation, or even mixed photography techniques found in works such as "Intersection Series: Seascape, Man (with Brick) and Man (with Pencil), 2002" and "Five Yellow Divisions: with Persons And White), 2004" by John Baldessari.
A tribute to diversity and variety of styles
The artworks acquired are all produced in the 21st century in order to better convey the unique vision of artists about our shared contemporaneity. Instead of acquiring large series, we opted to include a greater number of artists with different bodies of work.
This diversity of artistic expressions is absolutely one of the Collection strengths, and it is through this variety of styles that the dialogue about the art of our times is promoted.
Due to the uniqueness of this collection and the international recognition acquired, it has been invited to important initiatives and national and international contemporary art expositions. NOVO BANCO Contemporary Photography Collection is a founding member of IACCCA International Association of Corporate Collections of Contemporary Art.
Recognition and Curriculum
- 2018. Awarded with the "For the Outstanding Photography Collection of 21st century living artists" international award by "Corporate Art Awards - Art Patrons of the XXI Century", announced at the European Parliament, within the celebrations of the European Year of the Cultural Heritage;
- 2018. Selected for the official program of the third edition of the International Fair ARCOLisboa;
- 2017. Selected for the official program of the second edition of the International Fair ARCOLisboa;
- 2016. Selected to participate in the international "Corporate Art Awards 2016", which aims to identify, recognize and promote excellence and best practices in collaboration between the corporate world and international art through Corporate Collections;
- 2016. Selected for the ARCOLisboa first edition official program. The only collection outside the institutional museum's circuit to be included in this program;
- 2015. Considered one of the 80 best corporate collections in the world by Global Corporate Collection publication;
- 2014. Was honored with the integration in the 100 Best Corporate Collections in the World, being the only Portuguese collection represented;
- 2012. Invited to exhibit at the ARCOMadrid;
- 2011. Awarded with the 15th “A” Corporate Collection Award 2011 by ARCOMadrid.
Are only available in the site search the works listed in the catalog "The Present: An Infinite Dimension" of the first public exhibition of the Collection at the Coleção Berardo Museum in 2008.