Six centuries of artistic creation
The Collection in numbers
One Collection with more than 90 works from the 16th until the 21st century.
About the Works Covering
6 centuries of artistic creation
Of particular note are the seventeenth-century painting with the representation of the public entrance in Lisbon of the Apostolic Nuncio Giorgio Cornaro, "Banquet in the Village" by Pieter Bruegel the Young, signed and dated 1620, or the portrait of Anne Catherine Le Preudhomme, painted in 1782 by Elisabeth Louise Vigée Le Brun, one of the most important French painters of the second half of the eighteenth century. Also to mention the still lifes of Josefa de Óbidos and the landscapes of Jean Baptiste Pillement.
The nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth century are represented by José Malhoa's painting, namely two paintings from the beginning of his artistic career, Tomás da Anunciação, Júlio Sousa Pinto, Artur Loureiro, João Vaz, João Reis, D. Carlos de Bragança. From 1925, the new artistic currents are covered in the works of Eduardo Viana, Maria Helena Vieira da Silva, Nikias Skapinakis, João Navarro Hogan, Júlio Pomar, Jorge Pinheiro, Angelo de Sousa, among others.
More recent are the works of Pedro Croft, Paulo Quintas, or Ricardo da Cruz-Filipe.
A journey to history
The Painting Collection is an eclectic collection that covers six centuries of Portuguese and European artistic production from the late 16th to the early 21st century.
The Collection includes a set of 4 ´Portolanos` dating from between the 16th century and the 19th century with representations that are interesting from both a geographic and iconographic point of view as they are rare documents of Mediterranean and Atlantic commercial navigation.
Partnerships to share the heritage
Regarding the Painting collection, a decentralized program of the collection will be carried out, placing the works of relevant artistic value in the public interest in various museums throughout the country.
With the National Coach Museum in Lisbon, the partnership consisted in the transfer of an oil painting from the 17th century“Monsignor Giorgio Cornaro’s Entrance Procession in Lisbon in 1693", which will be in permanent exhibition at the Museum.
With the Francisco Tavares Proença Júnior Museum, in Castelo Branco, the protocol consisted in the transfer of the work of the Flemish painter of the 16th century. "Still Life of Flowers", one of the main works of painting collection, that will be in permanent exhibition at the Museum in Castelo Branco.
With Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga (MNAA) the partnership consisted on the transfer of the work of Elisabeth Louise Vigée Le Brun, XVIII "Portrait of Anne Catherine Le Preudhomme, Countess of Verdun", one of the main painting works from the collection of the bank, which was never exposed and is now presented for the first time and is in permanent exhibition at this Museum.
With Guarda's City Hall the protocol consisted in the transfer to the Guarda's Museum 20th century 5 works of important contemporary Portuguese artists from the NB Cultura painting collection. These works by the artists Nikias Skapinakis, José de Guimarães, Júlio Resende, Luís Pinto Coelho and João Hogan, are in permanent exhibition at the Guarda´s Museum.
With the José Malhoa Museum in Caldas da Rainha, the protocol consisted in the transfer of two works by José Malhoa to the José Malhoa Museum in Caldas da Rainha. The works are from that moment, permanent exhibition in the Museu José Malhoa.
With the Museum and Arts Center of Figueiró dos Vinhos, another protocol was signed for the transfer of another important work by José Malhoa, which is permanently on exhibition at the Museum.
With the Palace of the Dukes of Bragança, in Guimarães, the protocol consisted in the transfer of a work by Jean Baptiste Nicolas Pillement, which will be in permanent exhibition in the Palace of the Dukes.
With the Setúbal Museum - Convent of Jesus, the protocol consisted in the transfer of three works of Portuguese painters of the 18th and 19th centuries. A painting by José António de Faria and Barros (Morgado de Setúbal), a painting by João Vaz, from Setúbal and a painting of his teacher and friend, António da Silva Porto.
With the Grão Vasco National Museum, the protocol consisted in the transfer of two works by the French painter Jean Baptiste Pillement. The works are permanently exhibited at this Museum, in Viseu.
With the Municipal Museum Carlos Reis, in Torres Novas, the protocol consisted in the transfer of the work "No Tejo" by João Reis, one of the works of the bank's painting collection, that will be in permanent exhibition at this Museum.
With the Municipal Museum of Óbidos, a protocol was signed for the transfer of the work "Still Life with easter cakes, flowers and embroidered cloth" by Josefa de Óbidos. This work, signed only "Obidos", testifies the connection of the artist's life and work to the village of Óbidos.
With the MUDAS.Madeira's Museum of Contemporary Art, a protocol was signed for the transfer of a set of 3 works of art by two important Portuguese artists of the 20th century - Jorge Pinheiro and Ricardo Cruz-Filipe.
With the Carlos Machado Museum, Ponta Delgada, Azores, a protocol was signed for the transfer of two Portolan maps representing the North and the South of the Atlantic Ocean, manuscripts by José Fernandes Portugal, and that will stay in exhibition at the Sacred Art Exhibit (Igreja do Colégio).
With the Angra do Heroísmo Museum, Azores, a protocol was signed for the transfer of two paintings by Júlio de Souza Pinto, born in Angra do Heroísmo, "Volta do Rio" [return from the river] and "Chamando a barcaça" [calling the small boat].